And the results are in

A few weeks ago I blogged about collecting material to make some anthotype prints. The first batch of prints are finished and I'm really pleased with the results. I used a combination of spinach juice and and vodka which draws out the light-sensitive chlorophyl in the plant matter. 

I’ve heard the weather forecast is for sun this week, a little optimistic no doubt, but this has prompted me to try a new anthotype recipe. Last night I spent the evening peeling onions for their skins. Boiled up, onion skins produce a beautiful, amber coloured liquid, and after straining through a coffee filter I’m now in the process of coating some more paper. I’ll probably try a good few layer of brushing and drying before clipping the contact prints into frames and leaving out in the sun for as many hours or days it takes for them to fade. 

The spinach anthotypes took six days in the poly-tunnel to expose, (and on the seventh she rested with a splash of vodka  that was left over!) 

Tonight we’ll be eating french onion soup with croutons and grated Gruyere cheese; tomorrow is caramelised onion and goats cheese tarts. If you can think of any more onion recipes please do get in touch, I’ve got enough onions peeled and ready to cook that will see us through July and probably most of August!

I have a plan for all of the anthotypes I'm making at the moment which will be revealed in the fullness of time, but for now, here's a few of the spinach images.